9 Tips to Keep Kids in Sports
As the new season is coming close, parents often speak with our coaching team about how many sports their child should play and how much time it should consume in their schedule. Allistair McCaw, a Sports Performance Specialist who has worked with the likes of Serena Williams and owner of McCaw Method, happily shared some tips for parents with ZSC Academy to help children stay involved in sports for longer, develop more completely and avoid injury.
1. Fun, learning and socializing should always be the main of playing a sport for a child.
2. It should be the kid who determines how often and what level they like to play.
3. Not all kids want to compete, some just like to play! Parents need to remember this.
4. It is recommended that a kid should play at least 2-3 sports before the age of 13 years.
5. Playing a combination of individual and team sports is recommended. It helps develop athletic skills, teamwork and cooperation with others.
6. For a child that loves their sport and is driven to become better, the priority sport should take up no more than 60% of their time in athletics.
7. For serious-minded kids who love to play and compete, I have always use the basic age : hours ratio. In other words, a child aged 10 should be scheduled for no more than 10 hours per week – across all activities.